9.22.2007

happy weekend


Quick lil' post before Heather and Matt come by to pick up Bax and me to head to Ocean City for an overnight. Yay!

So, the picture is from last week's "family week" at daycare. The teachers usually leave it up to the kids to really pinpoint who is in their family... Bax decided that he wanted to depict Mommy and "Daddy on the Moon."

I'll leave it at that.

Couple funny piecees of randomness:

1) Russ came over for dinner the other night. I instructed Baxter that when guests arrive, you should offer them something to drink.

"Would you like something to drink?" he asked Russ in a perfect Host's voice.

"Well," replied Russ, "Yeah.. let me see... What do you have, Baxter?"

Bax loked concerned for a minute - looked over at me - then lit up and said, with a sweeping hand gesture,

"Would you like some wine?"

o.m.g.

2) a dear friend of mine (whose identity will be concealed unless she says I'm allowed to disclose it) told me a story that has had me chuckling for three days. She bought a washer and dryer set months ago and opened up a credit card at Sears to get a discount. To make sure that the thing got paid off quickly, she set up an automatic payment of $80 per week from her checking account. Early this week she thought, "Hmm... it's been a while. Those things should be paid off by now..."

so, she checked in with Sears and... get this...

She had overpaid them

by $3000.00.

Yes, she'll get the money back.

3) I was teaching my class of 25 college students and trying to explain a concept called semantic differentials - it's about different ways to measure attitudes towards various things.

I explained that you present the attitude object (e.g.: Tide Detergent) and then present the subjects with various bipolar scales with 7 points in between.

for instance:

Tide Laundry Detergent

Good __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Bad
Favorable __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Unfavorable

Then you average the people's responses to get an estimate of an attitude measure towards the object.

Sometimes people get creative and use whacky bipolar opposites, like "expensive" and "inexpensive." Problem is, for some people, expensive might indicate quality, and for other people, expensive might suggest a rip off. So, you have to be careful with the scales you use.

Another example that a lot of advertising research uses is:

Fast __ __ __ __ __ __ __ Slow

In the case of Cingular Wireless, I explain, fast would likely be "good."

But, I ask, "Can you think of any case in which slow was better than fast?"

silence, and awkward glances that I don't understand.

so i go on...

"Help me out here, people. Can you think of something that is much better when it's really slow than fast."

I hear a voice from the back row..."i can think of something."

giggles, blushing ensue.

Naive naive danna: "Ok... ummm... uh....that's all for today. See you Tuesday."

i LOVE my job.

4) I was in a bad way early this week. Sick as a dog. I'm doing better. I'm a little happier and feeling more energy. All good things.

4 comments:

Jalena said...

Youre chuckling over the washer and dryer? I'm rolling on the floor over your class!!! Thanks for the wonderful laugh. Sorry its at your expense but I can tell you, that is one that I'm sure will get me through some times in the future!!! Thanks!!

Shannon said...

I've been reading your blog for a long time now....I always find myself wondering how you and Bax are doing and we've never met. I just had to write because I'm going through a tough time right now, separation after 12 years together and your post today made me smile and then laugh out loud at the washer/dryer and your class stories. You share so much with all of us out there in the blogosphere....I just wanted to thank you for the smile today. And wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

No lost ipod story?

Anonymous said...

i CANNOT BELIEVE YOU POSTED THE WASHER DRYER STORY ON THE BLOG!!!! I am SOOOOOO embarrased that everyone in the world now knows what a doofus I am. My identity will remain a mystery (unless, of course, you've already disclosed it to friends in discussion)! All I will say is "I AM NOT GONNA SHARE ANY OF MY WINDFALL WITH YOU NOW." :-P (Just kidding). I may treat you to an iced coffee.

ps - the class story was BRILL. I immediately thought of a massage. LOL. Not really. My mind was in the gutter along with your students. Nice to know I still think like a 20 year old.

-you know who.