12.16.2006

Sat. 12/16 Bax turns 2


It's 9 pm on December 16, 2006. Exactly 2 years ago (at 8:52 pm) Mike and I welcomed Baxter Newland Young into the world.

Bax has had a fun-filled 2 days of celebrations: Friday at daycare, Friday night at home with friends and family, and this afternoon Bax ate cake and opened all his gifts with Michelle, Scott, Taylor and Jamie (see photos).

*****

Tonight, after bathtime, I was putting Bax in his pajamas and he looked up at the black and white wedding photo of Mike and me that he has up on his bureau.

Pointing to the photo, he said, what I thought I heard to be, "Mike."

and again... pointing at the photo... "Mama... Mike."

"What are you saying?" I asked him.

"Mike," he said again, and then, "Michael."

"Who is Mike, Baxter?"

"Daddy's Mike."

"Who?"

"Daddy's Mike," he said, looking up at the photo.

"How did you know that?" I asked, almost expecting him to be able to actually tell me how he got this little piece of info. Instead, he started singing a tune and dancing in circles.

After we read a book, we said our "goodnights" to everyone we love. "You want to say Goodnight to Daddy?"

"Goodnight, Daddy. Goodnight Mike."

Then, when I put him in his crib (where there's a picture of Daddy in his little photo book), he picked up the picture to kiss daddy like he does every night, but for the first time said, "Goodnight, Daddy Mike. I love you Daddy Mike."

I have no idea where this came from. It might not seem that weird just reading it here, but... trust me. It's weird. I asked Baxter, "What's mommy's name?"

"Mommy."

"Is my name Danna?"

"No. Mommy."

"Who's Danna?"

"Mimi?" he asked (Mimi is my mother).

"No, silly. I'm Danna."

"No. You're mommy."

"Ok. "

pause....

"But, Baxter. What is Daddy's name?"

"Michael." clear as freaking day.

*******

On a totally different note, I'm very proud of how cute our house is with all the Christmas decorations up. Whenever we pull into the driveway around 5:20, Bax says, "Yay! Home! Baxter's Christmas lights!".

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Baxter! You are sooooooo cute! Dana, follow your heart.--Xiaomei,Xiaoquan and Yiwen

MJC said...

Happy birthday, Baxter!

K said...

Happy Birthday, Baxter! Been thinking of you both. Be good to yourself.

Anonymous said...

sorry i missed seeing baxter on his bday. glad it was fun for you all.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Baxter! Love from all the Hollingers, esp Willa.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
p.s. my secret theory? that obnoxious post? came from Mike, in a fit of jealous passion, from the Great Beyond. That boy needs to be put into his place...
we love you, Danna,

M, M, J & W

Anonymous said...

Baxter and Beethoven were born on the same day! May the prodigious talent that was Beethoven's also be Baxter's. NOT wishing for the deafness, the curmudgeonliness nor the drinking...just the musical genius.

Also, thank you for hosting another successful annual Holiday party! And I agree with Baxter, the house looks so great with the lights--good job, girl!

Diane

Anonymous said...

Hi Danna. It's Sarah, Bax's old babysitter. I've been reading your blog for a while now and really wanted to post a comment...but never knew what to say. I'm really sorry about Mike. I think about all of you often and hope that you and Bax are doing well. I can't even believe how big he's gotten! And all the hair! I remember you and I thinking he may never get any! Give him a big hug for me, I miss you guys so much!

Love,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Baxter. Your house looks just beautiful. Makes you want to leave the lights up all year long...

The Ross family said...

Happy birthday to Baxter and Merry Christmas to you both (hope you can find some joy at this tough time.) The joy will come from Baxter. The ouse looks great.

If you are in NH bring your folks and come visit us.
xoxo