8.03.2006

Thursday, Aug 3, 2006 - 10 am

[Album: Iron and Wine: Our Endless Numbered Days]

In 2004, Mike and I went on a date to see the movie "In Good Company." We fell in love with a song by Iron and Wine that's on the soundtrack: "Naked as we Came." It is a beautiful smooshy song, with great acoustic guitar, but I never actually listened to the lyrics...

...until today.

You can listen to the song on iron and wine's myspace site (http://www.myspace.com/ironandwine) by clicking on the song "Naked as We Came" within their media player.

Mike always mocked my tendency to pick a favorite song or album and play it over and over and over and over again. I'm sure he's laughing at me right now that the playcount on this song is up in the twenties. That's ok. He's allowed.

Iron & Wine Naked As We Came

She says wake up it's no use pretending
I'll keep stealing breathing her
Birds are leaving over Autumn's ending
One of us will die inside these arms

Eyes wide open
Naked as we came
One will spread our
Ashes round the yard

She says if I leave before you darling
Don't you waste me in the ground
I lay smiling like our sleeping children
One of us will die inside these arms

Eyes wide open
Naked as we came
One will spread our
Ashes round the yard



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just listened to this song and followed along with the lyrics. I don't believe I have ever heard a song more right-on. I can't believe I'm admitting this, but I feel right now like I may not be able to stop crying for a while. My dear friend. I can feel your agony. Even though I still have trouble finding the words, I can say I am so very truly, deeply sorry for your pain. I know nothing except maybe time will help. In the meantime, we are here for you and the boy. Baxter. The only word that comes to mind when I think of him is joy. Pain fades and joy gets brighter. Hold on my friend. It will get brighter.

Love you, Michelle xoxo

Anonymous said...

My goodness. The lyrics touched both my heart and soul. I cannot imagine how you feel and have told you that I cannot imagine your sorrow several times. Thank you for sharing these lyrics. ( ...and thanks for printing the words, as I do not hear very well.)

My heart is with you....so are my tears...so is my hope. Anything I can do to help, I will.

We love you so very much.

This time I will NOT sign it 'M', but M and D. Hope you know we LOVE....LOVE....YOU so and so and so and so much.

M and D

NatalieMcD said...

This is a very poignant song. It's funny how we don't always notice the meaning at first. Or maybe it's that the meaning finally sits up and notices us. Keep listening...