7.11.2006

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 1:30 pm

Most recent development: CT scan from 11 am reveals bleeding in the brain. Not on the surface of the brain, but actually in the brain itself. They believe that this is a result of the coagulation factors still not being quite right (though he is not considered to be in DIC right now). Obviously, operating on someone with clotting problems is not optimal, but last night they had no choice given the large clot and the "mass effect" on the brain which resulted in major compression.

Blood in the brain is not a good thing, mainly because there's only so much freaking room in there and eventually, compression results and everything gets squished. The only thing they could plausibly do is what they've already done - remove the bone flap. That pretty much gives his brain some room to swell without being shoved up against the skull.

So right now, we just wait and watch as they monitor him. They are still trying to correct his coagulation factors since that is what they believe is responsible for the problem here. But, as I see it, that has been the freaking priority since Sunday night and it hasn't resolved since then, so why should we expect that to fix itself now.

Dr Andrews is in contact with the resident there and has seen these latest scans. He saw mike this morning and is fully connected with what's going on. I

'm sure that when no one is looking, Dr. Andrews takes one look at Mike and says to himself, as we all do - "What the f*ck?"

Other info:

There is no improvement in Mike's mental status. No response at all - not even hand squeezing. He appears to be holding his own in terms of his respiratory funcitoning, so they will be taking him off of the ventilator. His heart rate is not jumping around as much as yesterday, but instead it is consistenly high. It was in the 170s this morning. Carol, his nurse (who we love - who had him yesterday), did give him a small dose of lowpressor to bring that down. Unfortunately, as usual, that brought his blood pressure down a bit (top number in the 70-80s and bottom number in the 50-60s).

Sodium was starting to climb over the last 12 hours, up to 150 - so they are working on that. They are giving Mike a feeding tube, as well.

This is a roller coaster, and I need to get off of it. I can't stay on it or in it all the time. When I put both feet in, I fall apart. Totally apart. Instead, as I told Jae, I find myself just sitting here watching this coaster as it takes Mike, the nurses and docs, for this hellish hellish journey. I'm on top of what's going on and the details of his care, but I can't go along emotionally with the ebb and flow of this madness. I would die from exhaustion.

I say this - but I've been crying for 2 days on and off. I'm a big talker.

No comments: