7.07.2006

Friday, July 7, 2006 3 pm

They got the f*cker. Mike was in surgery from 9 am- 12 noon. Dr. Andrews was able to access the cyst through a tiny window between some major arteries and the optic nerve. He used an 18 gauge spinal needle to open it, and then aspirate the fluid out. He estimates that the cyst was about the size of a golfball. Andrews described it as "like leather," meaning the thing was tough and thick - hence the failure of the needle to penetrate it last week.

Mike came out of surgery quite well, held my hand and said Hello and I love you (eyes closed). His incision looks amazing. They used tiny sutures and some kind of glue - and he's got no bandage on.

When Mary and I were in with him, he was moving his hands a bit, looking for something. Mary asked if he had an itch and he said, "No, I have to go pee."

Mary and I looked at each other like, "Whaaaah?" We told him he had a catheter on, but remained awed that he sensed the need to go.

While part of me wanted to stay and watch each moment to see him sort of emerge from the fog he's been in for months, I am too exhausted to think straight. Besides, if Mike is "on his way back" it could take days, weeks, and months to happen - not necessarily minutes. So, I went back to tom and mary's for a nap and will check on mike later this evening.

But know that he looks good, they drained the large cyst, he's waking up nicely, and now we just need to wait and see.

7 comments:

Kate said...

Hurray!

CSM said...

Stopped in to see Mike at 3pm. He was awake-- eyes wide open. Looked at me. Knew who I was right off. Got him some ice chips after the nurse said it was OK. Chatted a bit. Showed him the pic of him, Danna and Bax-- positioned smack in front of him... asked if he knew who it was-- he did... then i asked if he could READ THE WORDS BELOW THE PICTURE and he said, "CHRISTMAS 2005." Holy Shit. Then he said, "Can you raise my bed, please?" I lost it. After checking with the nurse, we raised the bed. And then he said, "More." He probably thought I was nuts for crying... it was remarkable... he could f'n read something that was directly in front of him-- AND he made a request... two things I've not experienced with him in MONTHS.

I am soooo hopeful at this point. I just know this is the first step and more good news will follow. Amazing...

Love, CSM

karenle893 said...

I had a dream last night that Mike was doing Mad Libs and making me laugh.

Janice said...

Danna - What GREAT news this afternoon!! I was so happy to hear Jae Ann's happy message - CONGRATULATIONS!!

Janice

Anonymous said...

Hi Danna,
Glad to hear MIke's surgery went well! We wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you, Mike and Baxter all of the time.

Ivin and Meghan

Anonymous said...

Danna,
I was very very happy to read your post about how well things went with the surgery today! I wanted write a post to let you know your friends at UD were thinking of you today and hoping for the best!

Scott C.

weissman said...

when i read your first words i was reminded of the press conference after they announced that they had found hussein...

dramatic silence as they await the announement...

"WE GOT HIM"

wild applause and shouts.

i think mike's event is so much more reason to be celebratory!

thinking of you all...