6.21.2006

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 - First Day of Summer!

Today was a very positive day - for all three members of our household. Mike had a very alert morning, good therapy sessions, and a nice visit with Susan this evening. Susan called me on speaker phone after dinner so Bax, Mike, she, and I all chatted a bit. Mike sounded great! Susan said he was as good as she's seen him in months. Bax had a busy fun day at school, including time in the sprinkler. After I picked him up, we had a half hour visit to Newton Lake Park which he loved.

Today, I started cleaning up and organizing my UDel office (big sunny office with a giant window), met our fabulous research team, and just felt very hopeful looking towards the future. The RAs are fantastic. Funny, smart, and eager to bring their own energy to the project. The staff is so warm and helpful, and I feel as though I've known the faculty for years. It's the right place for me.

And, I don't feel guilty about not seeing Mike today. I could, but it would be silly. Mike would be so truly excited for me for the day I had. If fact, yesterday, when I told him I wouldn't be in today because I would be spending the day at Delaware, he gave me a huge grin, "Great, smoosher! That will be fun!" So, no guilt.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely think Johnny Vegas, but then again I am partial to the Vegas. Glad that Mike has been doing so well the last couple of days, and glad you had such a nice day down in DE!

beth said...

That last post was me. :)

CSM said...

In celebration of Danna's "first" day at UD, some interesting Delaware factoids that are sure to enthrall:

Factoid #1: Delaware is the only state without any National Park System units such as national parks, seashores, historic sites, battlefields, memorials, and monuments.

Factoid #2: The Lady Bug is Delaware's official state bug.

Factoid #3: The 87-foot Fenwick Island Lighthouse was painted in 1880 for a total cost of about $5.00.

Factoid #4: The 80-foot Great Dune is the state's highest. It is located at Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes.

Sadly, a flash mob of feral cats formed on the Great Dune in 2203 and, mistaking it for a giant, natural litter box, reduced it to a mere sand bump: Now it is known as the 12-foot "Eh-it's sorta-a-Sand Dune".

GO BLUE HENS!

-CSM

Don said...

Danna,

I am very excited that you are starting work.

Out of all my friends, you have the coolest job (sorry Josh, Dritsas, Kevin, Jim, Tom, Sean, Nathan, Jason, Matt, Kris, Todd, Timmy, Barry, Dave, George W., Bryant, Simon, Paula, Randy and Shiloh). I wish you all the best at UD!

Anonymous said...

But we do have lovely state parks! To get to one, you just go right at the 2nd Happy Harry's, cross beneath I-95, pass the green awnings, and go one exit on I-495. Or something...

-Tom M. (aka "Captain Wilmington")

Anonymous said...

I am glad you like your office :P I wish i had time to clean it up for you. I left in such a hurry myself. Good luck at UD!--Xiaomei