6.16.2006

Friday, June 16, 2006 - Bax turns a year and a half old!


[photos: the baxman ready for school this morning, munching on a bagel and full of the dickens.]

Saw Mike this afternoon from about 1-3. He was sleepy and a little unfocused, but definitely getting physically stronger in therapy. He is able to walk better than last week. The therapist even had me walk with Mike a bit to get a feel for it. Mike carried his weight pretty much by himself. They swear he was alert and good this morning, but this afternoon he was sort of spacey. While walking down the hall, for instance, we'd come to an intersection and I would say, "Now turn to the right." He would say, "Ok." and then continue walking straight. He would even be able to repeat the instruction just given to him, but he definitely wasn't processing it enough to actually follow the instruction. It was frustating to watch and interact with.

The same kind of thing happens with him trying to get out of his wheelchair a lot. He undoes the velcro belt around him (there's another permanent one that he can't undo, but the velcro one is supposed to simply remind him not to get up unassisted). When you ask what he's doing, he says, "getting up." When you ask what he's supposed to think of when he encounters the velcro belt on his lap, he can't remember. So you tell him he's not supposed to get up out of the chair unassisted. He'll look you in the eye, say, "Ok," and then try again as he's nodding at your instruction. To get through it, I just distract with some other activity (How about a sip of soda, Mike?).

*******

Baxman is back. Thank gosh. Went to daycare today and had a great day. When I arrived to pick him up, he was making out with his first favor-ice popsicle. Mmmm. true love.

I haven't gotten the gross evil hand,foot, mouth disease thus far. The canker sores on my tongue may simply be a result (as my sister was kind enough to point out) of my eating too much candy. I actually haven't been eating too much candy lately - other than the container of sno-caps the other day. Oh yeah - and there was my trip to the new Wegman's grocery store in Cherry Hill this morning where I splurged. I treated myself to something I only allow myself to get like 4 times a year. Ok, before I describe this particular vice, I confess. I am ghetto. I put ice cubes in my white wine if it's not cold enough, and I read Star magazine before bed. There - I've said it. Now, the sweet treat that I allow myself every once in a while? Ok, You know those crunchy sugary designs that you can buy in the cake decorating section - they often spell out like, "Happy Birthday" and they come on a cardboard and paper backing. You peel them off and put them on the cake? Ok. I eat them. I bought a whole sheet at Wegmans and by the time I got home (6 minutes later) they were gone. So maybe that's why I have canker sores.

Thank gosh Mike isn't home to see this. He would vomit out of sheer disgust.

16 comments:

csm said...

You are in good company. I eat frosting. Out of the can. The whole can. Usually in 3-4 sittings... typically around my birthday... and the canker sores? try eating an entire box of lucky charms in one sitting... same deal. love that you are a freak like me. can't wait to see what bax comes up with... xo, csm

Brownie said...

one think that can get rid of those bad boys is a little baking soda mixed with warm water...swish it around a bit, maybe gargle...it werks for me, anyway...usually canker sores are due to abundance of acid, so the base of the baking soda will counteract. (er, so I've heard) I get them from being an anxiety queen, myself, but anyway...
:)
cb

karenle893 said...

I know what I'm getting you for your birthday..We can play boggle with the letters and then eat them.

Love you

Kate said...

I eat those weird, chalky, pastel after-dinner mints. You know, the ones they have at the register in the Italian restaurants? Yeah, I can eat all of those. I can eat THEM ALL.

The Brain said...

I'm so glad I confessed. You guys are all freaks! We should have a party where all we eat is garbage. Although, by the end of the night, everyone would be so ill...

Anonymous said...

Kate,

YOU'RE the one who eats those mints? When I was growing up, my parents owned the company that makes those things and I could never figure out who ate them! I always thought that restaurants had one bowl that never actually emptied...

Sasha

beth said...

Having more of a salt and fat tooth than a sweet tooth, I like to down entire bags of Herr's Salt and Vinegar Potato chips. And not the "Big Grab" bags, but the 1 lb. bags. Your whole mouth and lips hurt afterwards. And one of my biggest food fantasies is to eat mayo right out of the jar with a spoon, but I'm afraid the shame of that would simply overwhelm me.

I think we should tell Jalena that a pickle party is something really dirty.

Love,
Beth

weissman said...

you guys are chumps. i could eat you all under the table. i'm good for a spoonful of peanut butter, which i then dent with my finger and pour hershey's syrup into. i can eat the whole jar like that. or hell, just the hershey's syrup, straight onto the spoon.

The Brain said...

Ok - no one can top this. I haven't done it in a while, but in high school and college it was a favorite: confectionary sugar - straight from the box, with a giant spoon. I even mastered the art of how to eat it without choking on the powder - cause it can be deadly if you get the powder down in your lungs. The trick? scoop it onto the spoon - giant inhalation - shove spoon in mouth - exhale through nose - let powder disolve quickly so as to not suffocate on the next inhalation.

Mmmm... Just thinking about it makes me randy.

CSM said...

danna, is that a new england style of huffing? confectionary sugar inhaling? i knew you people were a bit whacky... but that takes the cake (get it?)!

Jalena said...

Hi Danna- Hrumphhhhhhh!!!!! And Beth, I had such delicious thoughts of naughtiness and Vlasics(blushing). And now, I want a pickle, actually three of them, just have to decide on fabric and color hue. No wonder CSM comes up with innovative things for our Mike to do. She is creative in many areas and he is lucky to have her. All of your friends, actually, even those with lousy food fetishes!!! Ok, ok, have a slight weakness for the soft, glob in your teeth, bridal/Italian restaurant mints also.

Cheryl said...

I was feeling left out of the food discussion - I'm more of a quantity gal than quality...then, this afternoon, I managed to balance a bowl of shrimp and a small glass of cocktail sauce on my preggo stomach and realized I was going to miss my food table when it was gone...p.s. - be careful w/the powdered sugar - isn't it flammable/explosive??

weissman the big fat pig said...

not that i'm trying to encourage this behavior, but danna, you can mix cocoa right into the confectioners sugar and you've got cocoa mix to eat raw. throw it into a pot with some butter and you've got csm's frosting.

Anonymous said...

I feel like I should be putting this on http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

I am a condiment and sauce freak. I can eat mayo, ketchup, soy sauce, Worchestershire sauce, hot sauce, vinegar... you name it, I love it. Straight up on nothing at all. (And I definitely prefer mayo, Hellmans, big spoonfulls.)

I consider condiments and sauces to be a food group all their own. I guess I am not the only one?

And don't even get me started on S&V chips...

maverick said...

Hello,
I really enjoyed looking over your blog. I stumbled across it while I was looking for baby shower gift to compare to some of the baby shower gift I make. If you get a chance, go to www.diapergifts.com and let me know what you think. I will be coming back to vist your blog often. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Wow. What incredibly, incredibly bad taste. Fuck you, Maverick, whoever you are.