5.13.2006

Saturday, May 13, 2006

[Photo: Baxter as a bumble-bee, Halloween 2005]

Today was a good day for Mike. He was up in his chair from 9:30 am until 2 pm. Ate a great breakfast and good lunch - mostly with no help. He was very tired when 2 pm rolled around, so got into bed and slept soundly for hours. I gave him a shave, washed him up, and had some nice words with him, but mostly he was sleeping.

Morris from Discmakers came by. I think Mike really likes seeing folks from work and I think it makes him feel especially good when Morris comes and talks shop with him. Like Morris said, it seems that Mike likes being stimulated and being engaged in conversation. Particularly once he's really awake and alert, up in a chair.

On the homefront, Tresa is in town and my uncle Jonathan and his girlfriend Anna are in from upstate NY. Mom and dad (ahem - mimi and poppy) are on hiatus from baxter-care with a few nights in the Cherry Hill Holiday Inn while these other folks all stay at my house. My sister, her husband, and 4 year old Kylee arrive Sunday afternoon to attend Monday's graduation.

I'm excited to bring Bax to the hospital to see Mike tomorrow. It was so wonderful last weekend - for all of us.

My mom talked to me this morning about selling Harvey (Mike's 1996 Saturn) and saving money on his insurance. I'm definitely not there yet. As I told Kiki, Kathy and Julie the other day, when I pull around the corner, onto Melrose Ave and see Harvey out in the street in front of our house, for a split second a piece of me thinks, "Yay! Mike's home from work!" And as much as it sucks to realize I'm mistaken, there is something comforting and hopeful about having Mike's car parked outside the house. So, I may be a fool, but for now Harvey's staying put.

Finally, I've told several people about this dream I had last week, and I keep forgetting to write about it. I was reminded of it again tonight when Tresa asked me what keeps me going. My answer? 1) Baxter, 2) the fact that Mike is still Mike-ish, and 3) the fact that I share this situation with so many loved ones. That #3 is where the dream comes in. I dreamt last week that Dr. Andrews told me there was one possible way to surgically remove Michael's tumor. But they could only complete it if they took out individual small pieces and implanted them into other people. So, in the dream, all of our friends volunteered. Everyone took a little piece of the tumor and Mike got better. I'm not kidding - that was the dream.

Hmmm.... I
wonder what that means. And yes, Mary - I know my dreams are transparent. My subconscious isn't very creative, I guess.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to YOU!! Hope it's a good visit with Mike and Baxter. Enjoy the day and all the family. Love, Aunt Rege

MJC said...

Happy Mother's Day, Danna.

Anne Ladenson said...

Happy Mother's Day, Danna. I hope that you and Baxter had a nice visit with Mike today. I'm glad that Morris was able to catch him on a great day. Mike sounds so Mike; it's really awesome. From all the great reports, I hope that Mike will be able to attend your graduation tomorrow. Congratulations on all that you have achieved. You are an exemplary wife, mother, and academic. I can see why mike thought maybe sunday was to celebrate overachievers. :-)
Hugs,
anne