5.29.2006

Monday, May 29, 2006

[Photo: Signed copies of Curtis Sittenfeld's new novel - get one with all proceeds going to the American Brain Tumor Association in Mike's name - see below]

Mike was looking good today. I had a very brief visit this afternoon and ran into Kevin upon my arrival and Sasha and Dee upon my departure. Mike was content, not happy - not sad. But appreciating stories and laughter and eating quite well.

One very important and slightly graphic piece of evidence indicating that Mike is doing well: Today Cammie (one of the techs) said that Mike told her he needed to go to the bathroom. She was stunned. He told her this once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Both times he didn't make it to the bathroom in time, but he did in fact have to. I'm sorry if any of you folks are uncomfortable with this kind of detail, but for me it's about what's going on in Mike's brain. And it's wonderful because it tells me that through the muck his brain is finding a way to communicate with his body.


Please sign up for dinner dates or afternoon visits with Mike this week. This Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday are still wide open! If the calendar doesn't work for you, shoot me an email and I'll write it in. And whatever time you can get to the hospital is fine. I just was telling people 5:30 sort of randomly based on when his food was arriving in the past. But since he's eating pretty well on his own with just a little help from the nurses, it doesn't matter if you're there for the actual consumption of food or not. If you arrive after 7 pm, chances are he'll be sleeping, but any other time is fine.

I had a crazy brainstorm and I think many of you might find it exciting...

My dear friend and officemate, Matt, has this fantastic girlfriend who also happens to be a successful and critically acclaimed author. Her name is
Curtis Sittenfeld and she wrote the novel Prep that was a NY Times best-seller last year. Her new novel, Man of My Dreams just came out a couple of weeks ago. As I was on Amazon to buy my copy, I thought maybe I could buy a bunch of them and ask Curtis to sign them and then I could sell them to interested people at a mark-up and give the proceeds to the American Brain Tumor Association. Curtis not only agreed to help out, but gave me 10 hard cover books and 10 books on tape that she had been given by the publisher. Each one is brand new and signed by Curtis.

So the question - are these books good? Well, the
Washington Post's review of Prep was entitled, "Move over, Holden" (as in Caulfield)

Reviews of Curtis' new novel,
Man of My Dreams from:

Time Magazine
New York Times
It's also reviewed in this week's People magazine, but I couldn't find a link to it.

So... the price? The regular hard cover - that
doesn't have Curtis' signature in it - retails for 22.95, though you can get it on Amazon for about $15.00. So you tell me if you're interested and what you would pay for a signed copy. I'll try to figure out based on your input what a good price to ask would be.

Added Tues 5/30 at noon: Wow! Response to the book deal is amazing! I have a bunch of people interested and willing to pay $50-75 for a signed copy of Curtis' book. For those of you more frugal friends such as myself - maybe consider going in on the book with someone else. If you're willing to pay $25, email me and I'll hook you up with someone else who's willing to pay 20-$30. Then you two fight over who keeps it. All proceeds will go to the ABTA.

Either post your interest and price in the comments section, or if you're embarrased about being cheap (which I would be cause I'm a cheapo), then just Email me at 185cranios@gmail.com

****************

And finally, I end this post with a disgusting - though humorous - picture for you.
Bax and mama out in the backyard. Mama gardening, Bax playing. Mama hears an excited, "ma-MA! ma-MA!" and turns to see Bax with some non-descript item in his hand and a smile on his face. Mama gets closer. The item? A partially solidified and very dead - chipmunk.

11 comments:

Don said...

I'll give you $25 for the book, and $50 for the chipmunk!

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify: Curtis Sittenfeld will NOT be signing rotting animals. Live animals are on a case by case basis.
-Matt

Anonymous said...

Ah, suburban living. In the city Bax would have nothing but dead rats and pigeons to pick up.

Brown said...

Heck yeah, I'm in for Curtis' book if there are any left. Since I am now a starving graduate student, I will take the $25 option.

Brown said...

Heck yeah, I'm in for Curtis' book if there are any left. Since I am now a starving graduate student, I will take the $25 option.

The Brain said...

Hey, Brown - are you Brown as in Carrie? as in the "berger? just a'checkin.

Anonymous said...

Sign me up for a book please. I'll pay $75 just so I don't have to share it and because since I read your copy of "Prep" it seems right that I should pay more now...though I suppose this doesn't help Curtis in anyway, I did talk a woman into buying "Prep" at the Penn bookstore a few months ago. (I would never pay that much for a Jennifer Weiner book!)

Anonymous said...

That last message was from Heather C. I couldn't remember my password. Stupid passwords.

Brown said...

Lol, yep, that would be me, Carrie Brown, that is. I'll see if I can talk Colleen and T$ to share with me, since we'll be at the beach together in a couple o' weeks.

Anonymous said...

alpa differently iwath anshul apts harvest ekfydksa wore virtual submissions rebuttal
lolikneri havaqatsu

Anonymous said...

Today is my lucky day :)
Apple is giving review copies of iPad to 100 lucky person. Go to http://bit.ly/cmmVr7 and apply for it.