4.13.2006

Thursday, April 13, 2006


[The bright light that brings me strength every day: Mr. Baxter Newland Young. Photos by the very talented Victoria Dufresne]

Today's surgery went well (i'll get to that in a minute). But first, I would like to say thank you to everyone. Every single friend, acquaintance, colleague and family member. Yes, even you, Kevin. We could never get through this without this giant safety net that you provide for us. People who write a little note of support on this blog - know that each one makes me feel that we are part of a community and that makes me stronger. The stronger I am the better advocate I am for Michael and the better mother I am to Baxter. So each one of you is helping us beat this stupid tumor.

Today Mike had surgery # 9 to implant a permanent shunt that drains into his belly. They also replaced the plate of skull that they had removed. Dr. Evans placed a connector between the left and right ventricles. The shunt drains from both of them and goes into one valve that is programmable. They set it to maintain pressure at 11 I.C.P. (Intracranial Pressure). He was taken down to the O.R. at 2 pm. Surgery didn't start until 4:45 today and we got to see him at 8:30 pm. He looked G.R.E.A.T.! Yes, he thought we were in a garage and yes he thought that the tight bandage was a hat that was too small and yes he asked like 15 times if we could take off the too-tight-hat, but he spoke quickly and clearly and he was still coming out of anesthesia when we saw him, so I'm taking all the weirdness with a grain of salt.

Couple of funny things that we'll mock Mike about later...

On the way to roll Mike down to the O.R. today at 2 pm, his nurse and I were talking about Mike’s I.C.P. (Intracranial Pressure). Mike overheard us saying “I.C.P.” and rapped:

“You down with I.C.P.? Yeah you know me!”

I asked, “Mike, what does I.C.P. stand for?”

Mike replied, “International Clown Posse."

Then, post-surgery, Mike was confused as to his whereabouts. Garage? Trunk of Harvey (the name of our old Saturn)? Trunk of Harvey INSIDE the hospital?

Then he started processing the whole experience as though it was a computer application:

"Where's the 'done' button?" he asked. With his right hand he was trying to navigate a mouse.

He continued, "If you press F1 followed by F2, you exit."

I asked, "Exit what? What application are you in, Mike?"

He looked at me like I was a total idiot, "What application? This." [He looks around and waves his hand a little] "This whole thing."

"Yeah... no....I wish it was that simple, Mike. If all it took was F1 followed by F2 to exit this situation, we definitely would have done it a long time ago."



16 comments:

Susan said...

Sooo... I had to drive out to the 'burbs again to do another freakin' pickle party (yeah that's right-- i can get tired of them), and as I turned into the townhouse community that looks like every other townhouse community, i looked up and saw the most INCREDIBLE rainbow. i mean HUGE. I immediately thought of Mike. Y'know... me being the queen of "it's a sign." So, I took a picture of it with my phone camera-thing and am going to send it to you so you can look at it and know that there can still be something wonderful after a storm... that things can rearrange themselves in the universe and come out looking even better than they did before. and that when it happens, we can be left in a moment of amazement and wonder and awe and joy. we'll get there... XXOO, Susan

Anonymous said...

Tell Mike it's Shift+Alt+F1+F2 to exit. If you just hit F1+F2, the wizard does not give you the magic turnip.

Throw baby!

Anne Ladenson said...

Love the pictures of Baxter! He surely is a bright spot in all this. When Danna tells me about him, he really sounds like little Mike. More importantly... I am compelled to tell everyone that International Clown Posse is not nearly as weird as it sounds, since there's a long-time Disc Makers client called Insane Clown Posse. If you'd asked me what ICP stood for, that's what I would said, so he really *almost* got it right!

Anonymous said...

Baxter is sooooo beautiful. Can't wait for Mike to go home and play with him. Hopefully, it won't be long now.

Joanne

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update....i find myself coming back to this site several times a day to look for an update. danna we are all here. F1 and F2 is priceless! --tresa

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear he's still rapping; and the International Clown Posse definitely needs to be a new psycho circle option. You guys are an amazimg team.

-mary

Baloo said...

And I thought it was just the "escape" key.!!! and if that doesn't work, then the on off button really works.
Baxter is soooooo hugable and adorable. Looks like the both of you.

karenle893 said...

How much do I love Mike Young?!!!Even as all the connections are unscrammbling and he's navigating throught a maze of unfamiliar synaptic connections, you can feel his strength and determination and inconceivable wit in these stories.
I hope I get to see you today, so I can hug you Danna.
Love,
Getz

Deke Young said...

I sent an e-mail with the blog URL link to Martie and Alice Young in San Francisco.

I will try to investigate other Young family e-mail addresses.

Frederick said...

Just wanted to let you know that a couple of guys Mike knew a long time ago are back in the country... Polo flew in from Thailand and Aldo the Italian film director are both anxious to see him, so...

Seriously, I had a dream about Mike the other night where he was up and running and looked great and this was all behind him...

Heather said...

yeah yeah yeah...Mike Mike Mike...when can we get some pictures of dreamy Dr. Evans up here?

Dritsas said...

The F1 + F2 exit option isn't going to be available until version Mike 2.1. Tell him he will be able to download the upgrade in May. Oh, and while they're in his head putting in valves and whizbangs and what not, have them put in a USB port. Then he could download it more easily. Even better! Have them install a Wi-Fi chip. Mike could check his e-mail at coffee shops inside his own head! That would be so cool. We have the technology...

Kel said...

This news sounds VERY promising. GO MIKE! GO DANNA! GO SCIENCE!

On another note....

Even with a brain tumor or groggy with anesthesia Mike is still a superior improvisor! I may as well throw in the towel. I mean I can't RAP now let alone under such grueling conditions. And here I finally thought I had an edge on Mike afer all these years ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, if Mike keeps rapping, we keep it up with the phat beats.

Your humor is an inspiration.

All the best,

Patrick Short

bob lazzell said...

you'd think with all this technology today these doctors would stop goofing off, get down to business and just install an ipod (30 MB) all up in mikes head! it's really the next step in wireless and mike could pimp himself out as advertising for apple. if not, treat mike to a bionic hand or something its 2006, i mean, really.


xoxox

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to see you and Baxter have some quality time outside. I like your hairstyle.

Hang in there!

Xiaomei