4.25.2006

Supporting Kelly's Bike for Sight

Here is a note from Kelly Jennings from ComedySportz:

While at the bank a couple weeks ago I saw a flyer for a fundraising event BIKE4SIGHT. The event benefits CBVI the Center for Blind and Visually Impaired.

I had recently been to visit Mr.. Mike Young and was thinking that if and when he is ever able to move beyond the day to day issues of managing his brain tumor he STILL has the issue of his visual impairment. CBVI is one of 2 major centers in the Delaware Valley that aide adults in adjusting to recent vision loss. It occurred to me that Mike and Danna might be able to find appropriate services there to help Mike adjust to his new perspective.

Coincidentally I have been hoping to get more involved in cycling (I was an avid rider in my youth but haven't been on a bike in almost 20 years)mostly recreationally but events like this help motivate me to ride and push myself harder than I ordinarily might otherwise.

So what?

I'll be doing the Ride4Sight on Sunday May 21 in honor of Mike Young. The ride starts at the Court House in Media PA

I'll be doing the 13 mile "Short Ride"

I need some sponsors, I'm looking to raise at least $100, but more would always be welcome.

I've supplied a link below so you can read up on CBVI and the event. And if you want to join me please do! There are several different routes ranging from a 2 mile "Family Ride" to a Metric Century (62 Miles) Descriptions of the various routes are on the website.

If it encourages anyone to take the plunge...I've never done a charity ride in my life. My bike is a "cross"-Mostly a road bike with some mountain bike elements. I'm no speed demon I average 9-12 mph. I was riding up to 15 miles last summer /fall but the longest rides I've been doing so far this spring are around 6.5 miles.

Here's the link for the event: http://www.bike4sight.org/

Contact Kelly directly if you care to sponsor her ride and/or to let her know if you will be joining the event. email kaj867@comcast.net.

from, Kelly

2 comments:

Dritsas said...

Awesome idea! I'll definately donate, or ride on my own! I'll let you know, Kelly.

Dr. Itsas

Kel said...

How to Pledge:

Make check payable to CBVI
On the check please include your name, address, phone number.

CBVI will send acknowledgement of your donation after the event on May 21.

In the memo section of your check please write:

Rider-Kelly A. Jennings / Bike4Sight

Please email me directly for my address. kaj867@comcast.net

All pledges need to be in my hands no later than Friday May 19. I must turn in all pledge money on the day of the ride.

I will be starting a blog soon so that you may follow my "training", and find out how the ride went.

Thanks everyone!